Overview Director and Managing Counsel, Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs This attorney will be a key component of the Legal Department's Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs division, focusing on advising the firm's global finance and risk functions. Responsibilities will include capital, liquidity, and funding issues, capital planning, stress-testing, external disclosure, and liquidity risk management. Other responsibilities will include assisting in the development of new products and services, Dodd-Frank compliance, advising the firm's securities investment portfolio, as well as regulatory and supervisory advocacy efforts. This attorney will work closely with BNY Mellon's Corporate Treasury division, Portfolio Management Group, Controllers group, Regulatory Reporting, Capital Adequacy & Stress-Testing, Government Affairs, Risk and Compliance, and other control functions, as well as the in-house legal team to identify and manage key regulatory issues related to the conduct of BNY Mellon businesses affecting the firm's finance and risk units and to develop strategies to implement changes as required by regulatory developments. This position will report to the Senior Managing Counsel & Director in the Legal Department's New York, New York office responsible for enterprise-wide finance and risk functions. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Qualifications - External Advanced Legal Degree or local country equivalent degree usually required. Progression to this level usually requires licensure/certification by the local country or jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions, may not require licensure or certification for placement in the role; in others, licensure/certification is required. 5-8 years minimum of total work experience as a qualified attorney is preferred. Prior corporate legal experience within the financial services industry, governmental agencies responsible for financial regulation and/or supervision, or experience in assigned practice area (e.g., securities, employment, etc.) with an outside law firm is preferred.
- Participate in firm-wide and business centered stress-testing initiatives, including yearly CCAR preparation and submission and DFAST stress-testing exercises.
- Helping the organization's Compliance team, Corporate Treasury function, and various business units comply with the Volcker Rule.
- Advise on regulatory capital and liquidity interpretations.
- Serve as a legal advisor to Corporate Treasury's business units, including the corporate investments portfolio, asset-liability management, internal business combination transactions, capital actions, and corporate funding.
- Advise business units and centralized control functions in responding to regulatory and supervisory examinations, and in shaping the firm's supervisory relationships.
- "Connecting the dots" to identify emerging supervisory trends and ensuring that these are considered in broader advocacy efforts.
- Managing and leading company responses to supervisory and enforcement actions and advising on remedial action plans.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.