ESG Analyst, Sovereign Debt
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
Within the sustainable investment platform, we are seeking an Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Analyst to join our Investment Research team. Based in Boston or London, the ESG analyst will bring an understanding of the material ESG issues relevant to global sovereign debt and effectively communicate differentiated investment insights to portfolio managers and analysts to be incorporated into our clients' portfolios.
Wellington views investment research as its core competitive advantage; the ESG analyst will be a regular contributor to the investment dialogue, including in our daily investment meeting. The ESG Analyst will work with our emerging and developed markets sovereign debt teams to define Wellington's approach to ESG sovereign debt coverage, establish and help execute an engagement agenda with sovereign issuers, and consider research partnerships to further our effort. We expect the analyst to be an important contributor to the Emerging Market Debt team's investment process.
In addition to conducting fundamental ESG research and engagement and working with portfolio management teams and analysts, the ESG Analyst will have the opportunity to represent the team and communicate our ESG integration process to clients, consultants, and prospects. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - We are seeking an ESG Analyst who is passionate about both global markets and sustainability issues and has experience analyzing ESG issues as they pertain to sovereign debt in the investment process. The ideal candidate will bring subject matter expertise on governance topics and environmental and social issues, along with an understanding of how these issues can impact an investment thesis, specifically in sovereign debt.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The ESG Analyst will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with clients, prospects, and local government/regulatory agencies. The ability to provide a point of view and challenge the status quo is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action oriented investment recommendations clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an analyst. The ESG Analyst will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of sustainable investing and ESG as it applies to evaluating sovereign debt globally.
Additional qualifications and individual characteristics include:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in a related role ideally at an investment management organization. Prior experience working for a multilateral agency or international financial institution (e.g., the IMF, World Bank, central bank) would be viewed favorably;
- Demonstrated ability to employ quantitative modeling and research skills to assist in economic and market analysis;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Ability to set priorities and execute a research agenda;
- Capacity for differentiated thinking and ability to problem solve effectively;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature;
- Ability to work well in a small, collaborative team, while also communicating and interacting with a broader group of investment professionals;
- Global perspective;
- Strong academic background, ideally including an advanced degree in Economics; and
- Ability and willingness to travel.
ESG Analyst, Sovereign Debt LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .