A fantastic opportunity to join a leading Private Equity business as they seek to appoint a Head of Portfolio Finance. This role will lead the Portfolio Finance Team and be responsible for the successful presentation and development of all Portfolio reporting, implementing relevant controls and procedures to ensure data integrity and the highest quality of reporting. The role will also lead the portfolio finance teams engagement with the rest of the business through interaction with investors and portfolio managers. Engaging closely with the Head of Portfolio and the Head of Finance to provide insightful and commercially relevant reporting.
- Overall ownership and oversight of all portfolio reporting (live/monthly/quarterly/board packs/external/adhoc).
- Drive reporting development through quality of engagement with the users of the information, exco/investors/portfolio heads.
- Ability to interpret, pull out key themes as communicate portfolio data through slides/charts/tables presentations. Recognising trends anomalies and develop appropriate reporting/controls
- Ensure delivery of regular regional portfolio reporting and reviews through Portfolio Managers and ensure regular engagement on key issues
- Centrally manage the monthly portfolio review process, building in-depth knowledge of regional portfolio performance and issues.
- Build a strong understanding and working knowledge of the investment systems and reporting tools.
- Work closely with Core Finance to understand accounting policies & processes which will impact portfolio reporting.
- Overall responsibility of valuation process, including the summary report presented to committee, quality of individual valuations reports, consistency of approach across the portfolio, adherence to policies and completion within agreed timetable.
- Management of timetable and investor related deadlines, lead communication with key contacts within the investment team to ensure timetable is achieved.
- Build a strong understanding of the deal structures, variations of terms and how this may influence our valuation.
- Overall responsibility of any valuation related reporting, to highlight any relevant themes or drivers.
- Continuous review of process and reporting, adapting to changes in investment terms, reporting legislation, information requirements.
Annual Audit – Portfolio Valuations
- Lead the audit process of valuations, managing the portfolio finance team to ensure appropriate controls and supporting evidence are in place.
- Manage the timetable with the Audit manager to ensure valuation audit points are completed in line with the overall end of year timetable
- Provide relevant level of challenge to ensure audit approach is appropriate for core operating model and where necessary work with audit team to find most effective process.
- Leading the Portfolio Finance team through the estimated outcome process, agreeing the timetable, managing the Portfolio Managers review of the process.
- Gain a full understanding of the mechanics of the report, supporting the investors and Portfolio Managers with appropriate treatment of more complex structures within the portfolio.
- Lead finance interaction with Head of Portfolio during the centralised review of the estimated outcomes results and sensitivity assumptions.
- Assessing economic returns across the upside, expected & downside scenarios. Presenting and interpreting this information into high quality reporting for users both across the business and externally.
- Build a strong understanding of the portfolio of investments through:
- Monthly portfolio review discussions.
- Building relationships with Investors and portfolio heads
- Half yearly valuation discussions.
- Liaising with Core Finance on the structure of deals.
- Reviewing IC papers.
- Monitor and support the regular data capture process from portfolio companies
- Manage team engagement with portfolio companies to ensure consistent high quality communication, implement effective process to resolve portfolio company queries efficiently.
Develop system knowledge across the key financial systems and reporting tools:
- Portfolio Monitoring System
- Investment Accounting System
- Data Warehouse (Data consolidation tool)
- Power BI
- Directly manage the Portfolio Managers ensuring high quality of output, a good understanding of portfolio issues, positive investor engagement and the successful delivery of reporting deadlines.
- Overall leadership of the Portfolio Finance Team and responsibility for the completion of key objectives.
- Ongoing assessment of resource requirements and team performance to ensure necessary experience and resource is being utilised as effectively as possible.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders including Portfolio Heads and investors.
- Ongoing support to the Head of Finance, Head of Portfolio & Core Finance team.
- Producing ad-hoc reports both regionally focussed and for wider portfolio reporting.
- Support the business with strategic projects providing necessary portfolio insight and analysis when required.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (Job related skills, knowledge & experience required)
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with experience of delivering high quality financial reporting to senior management teams
- Experience of successfully managing a team
- Experience of similar a portfolio reporting role within Investment/Financial Services
- Knowledge of typical investment terms, structures, and valuation techniques
- Very Strong IT skills (excel knowledge is key/report specification/development, system specification)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Commercial/Investment experience
- Audit Experience