Senior Director, Investment Performance
- starting at $149,500
- Victoria, BC, Canada
- Permanent, Full time
- BC Investment Management Corporation
- 17 Oct 18
Our Finance department is part of the Operations group and in various ways collaborates with all of the other departments within BCI. Finance is responsible for financial administration, financial reporting, tax planning and compliance for BCI and the investment funds under BCI's administration and also works with our auditors and external advisors. The department is organized into four branches: Investment Accounting, Investment Performance, Corporate Accounting, and Tax. The Investment Performance Branch supports BCI’s investment strategy through independent measurement of the Investment portfolio performance, attribution analysis, and insightful analysis and reporting.
Reporting to the SVP, Finance, the Senior Director, Investment Performance will lead the Investment Performance team and is responsible for investment performance measurement, monitoring and reporting activities ensuring that performance returns, and performance attribution are calculated correctly by ensuring that analytical reviews, reasonability checks and established processes are completed and followed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
As part of the transformation of the Investment Performance branch, the Senior Director, Investment Performance will oversee several projects to ensure that the Investment Performance branch is able to support BCI’s ongoing business transformation activities.
• A degree in Finance, Math or other discipline with a strong quantitative background coupled with a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or CIPM designation;
• A minimum of 15 years of progressive experience in Investment Performance Measurement including at least 10 years of experience in team management;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills will be essential in this role. Able to present ideas in a clear and persuasive manner;
• Strong understanding of performance measurement and performance attribution methodologies (i.e. time weighted vs. dollar weighted returns, arithmetic vs. geometric attribution, multi-currency & fixed-income attribution) an asset.
• Excellent private and public markets knowledge, and a significant experience with data warehousing, data marts and data mining;
• Approachable and influential with the proven ability to gain trust and confidence quickly through consensus building;
• Strong leadership skills and be able to operate effectively within a dynamic and changing organization;
• The ability to communicate complex financial insights and analysis in a business-oriented language to senior leadership; and
• Proficient in SimCorp Dimension is considered an asset.
• Provide overall leadership and direction to the Investment Performance team on strategic initiatives;
• Manage the Investment Performance team by aligning the team to the changing needs of the organization, assessing skills and determining gaps in skills;
• Provide in-depth analysis and explanation of the nature of return and related issues (e.g., attribution analysis) on all pooled funds for individual clients;
• Maintain a good working relationship with clients, addresses their questions, and assists them in understanding key performance issues;
• Advise senior management of performance issues;
• Ensure the Investment Performance team works closely with the Asset classes to provide strategic financial information targeted at decision assistance, performance monitoring and other related matters;
• Make sure the team leverages the systems and expertise that the performance function has and/or deploys, as well as the current data;
• Act as a key hub for all investment performance related analytics and have a strategic vision around how analytics should evolve for the group;
• Prioritize initiatives and act as the gatekeeper for any performance related initiatives;
• Be accountable for various ad hoc financial analyses produced by the team by leveraging existing systems and knowledge;
• Promote an organizational culture based on BCI’s core values: Clients & BCI First, Performance Focused, World Class, Accountability, Transparency and Integrity;
• Liaise with the internal business partners, including IT, Asset classes, Investment Strategy & Risk and Corporate & Investor Relations;
• Manage and prioritize performance related projects to ensure milestones are achieved and business cases met.