Who we are
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world's largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day and are the world's third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
Recently we launched one of the FX industry's largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new business from the ground up. We've started with a blank sheet of paper. We're using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: use of public clouds, building our own private infrastructure to achieve even better performance and transforming our industry through distributed Big Data Analytics and Lakehouse technologies.
This isn't a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, though solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide (not just trying to get people to click on ads). We don't expect you to wear a suit, we don't expect you to not be able to tell your friends what you're working on, we don't expect you to sit in meetings 5 hours a day.
State Street is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability. What you will do
As a Data Engineering Lead
, you will solve complex technical challenges, work with cutting edge Lakehouse, Delta Lake and Data Warehouse technologies; focusing primarily on creation and maximizing Lakehouse assets using Databricks and AWS services. You will build new solution frameworks and, most importantly work with a highly talented and collaborative team to provide data capabilities in a Dev Ops environment.
What you bring
- Provide inputs to major architectural designs to ensure fault tolerant ingestion and maintainability.
- Automate ingestion of various data sources into Databricks and Oracle warehouses, while building utilities to manage the health of operational clusters.
- Implement software enhancements to our Data Transformation and ETL platforms adhering to software requirements and design specifications.
- Build and optimize data pipelines of highly scalable big data stores.
- Implement data quality, reliability and efficiency improvements.
- Perform data modeling and source to target mapping from legacy platforms.
- Interact directly with business users to understand their requirements.
- Translate high-level architecture designs into detailed designs for execution and implementation.
- Integrate with other utilities (authentication, API gateway) to provide a comprehensive of services to our users.
- Build infrastructure automation (e.g. Python, shell scripts) to support rolling updates.
- Handle support escalations from users requiring troubleshooting with existing applications.
About State Street What we do.
- Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science or related field (Master's preferred).
- 5-7 yrs. of experience, with 2+ years working hands-on with multi-terabyte datasets.
- 2-3 yrs. Of experience in Spark, SQL and Python.
- Familiarity with AWS solutions such as Databricks.
- Prior developer experience in ETL tools and/or hand coded solutions.
- Experience in building end-to-end infrastructure centric applications using contemporary languages (e.g. Python, SQL, PL/SQL) with exposure to Java helpful.
- General knowledge of cloud-centric architectures and technical standards, agile software development concepts and processes.
- General knowledge of BI tools (e.g. MicroStrategy, Power BI, Tableau, etc.).
- Excel at working with users to gather, prioritize, plan and execute solutions to business requirements as it relates to data sources, ingestion and search patterns
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation, we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Programs to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers