Description About this role Vice President/Tax Manager/Sr. Manager
Reporting to Tax Director, provide Canadian tax compliance and advisory services related to Canadian funds and other investment products (including Canadian ETFs, retail mutual funds and pooled funds) as well as corporate entities, including the following:
Position qualification requirements
- Responsible for managing investment fund year-end tax process including planning for year-end fund distribution work, review of distribution, investor tax reporting and tax return preparation, ensuring timely completion and filing as well as managing mock and ad hoc distribution process.
- Manage fund financial statement audit process as it relates to preparation of tax notes to financial statements and review of distribution of income and capital gains calculation and tax factor breakdown.
- Assisting in oversight of external tax service providers. Regularly evaluate performance and recommend process improvements where necessary.
- Monitor, identify and minimize tax risks and issues related to investment products and funds and investors, proactively work with internal business partners in designing policies, controls and procedures to mitigate tax risks and improve compliance and process. Document and maintain records of tax policies and procedures.
- Review and manage timely filing of investment fund GST/HST tax returns and computation of annual blended GST/HST rates and respond to GST/HST inquiries from internal business partners.
- Assist in overseeing Canadian corporate income tax provisions and compliance with respect to Canadian corporate entities.
- Act as the main liaison with tax authorities including dealing with notice of assessments and audit related matters and applying for Tax IDs and certain tax status.
- Review tax-related disclosures in fund prospectuses, offering documents, and marketing materials and related legal documents.
- Provide routine tax advice and support to business partners on tax related matters including proposed product changes and initiatives, mergers and liquidations, tax efficiency of funds, proper treatment of complex corporate actions, portfolio management, transaction taxes and Canadian foreign withholding tax. Document tax technical analysis and write up tax memos.
- Keep abreast of Canadian and international tax development that would impact the investment fund industry and fund investors; research and interpret tax changes and support the implementation of such changes into existing procedures, controls and workflows.
- Participate in local or global projects to provide tax inputs as required and special projects as arise from time to time.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Canadian income tax in a public accounting firm and/or asset management industry with strong tax compliance experience and solid experience with analyzing complex corporate actions; Completion of CICA in depth I and II courses; Accounting designation is mandatory; MTax is an asset.
- Quick learner and self-motivated person who takes initiative and ownership to improve tax related processes and procedures with minimum supervision but in line with team objectives.
- Strong project planning and management skills as well as prioritization skills, respect timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication with transparency and integrity, teamwork and relationship-building skills.
- Advanced knowledge and application skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Must be able to work effectively in a demanding, fast-paced and complex environment, handling multiple tasks and projects concurrently and resolving issues that cut across the organization, while maintaining highest standards and attention to detail.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work pilot
BlackRock's current hybrid work pilot is designed to help you experience the best of both worlds: the opportunity to connect with colleagues in person and the flexibility to work remotely, with greater time to focus on what's important to you. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are generally expected to work 3 days in the office and 2 days from home (on average) each week. For some business groups, more time may be required in the office, while greater flexibility may be in place for others. Our "One BlackRock" culture means you'll be supported to collaborate with your new colleagues while bringing your full self to work - wherever you are.
The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.