Brookfield Asset Management Inc. ("Brookfield") is a global alternative asset manager with over $365 billion in assets under management. Brookfield has over a 120-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Brookfield offers a range of public and private investment products and services, which leverage their expertise and experience and provide a distinct competitive advantage in the markets in which they operate. Brookfield is co-listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges under the symbols BAM and BAM.A, respectively, and on the NYSE Euronext under the symbol BAMA. For more information, please visit our web site at www.brookfield.com.
The Technology Services Group (TSG) is an internal function and is responsible for ensuring consistent technology infrastructure and a standard set of tools and applications across our Asset Management business. Position Summary
The Analyst, Payroll role is split equally between customer service/relations management and technical expertise and is responsible for the administration of the Canadian payroll.
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the Analyst, Payroll will be responsible to receive, assess, and validate HR and employee changes; enter pay and tax changes; and answer general inquiries related to pay and tax. The successful candidate will also be required to audit and analyze multi-province employee transactions checking for accuracy, timely processing and compliance. They will also demonstrate proactive and productive analytical thinking and troubleshooting. They will partner with the Payroll Manager to ensure solutioning of the overall payroll process to drive required service level results.
Prior to the final audit evaluation by the Payroll Manager, the incumbent will be accountable to audit and analyze the end-to-end timekeeping and payroll processes and will be responsible to perform first level reviews of all pre-confirmed pay transactions to be executed each payroll, including multi-company payroll entries.
The Analyst, Payroll will work closely with Human Resources and Accounting departments to ensure accuracy and timeliness when delivering and auditing pay. Responsibilities
- Helps execute a standard audit and proactive data verification process for all payroll data to ensure information is correct and maintained properly, at both the employee and employer level.
- Verifies payroll outputs for accuracy, sensibility and overall correctness and mitigates as required before loading into system production.
- Performs responsibilities which establish and maintain accurate employee/payroll/tax records; includes auditing and analyzing records for compliance with established employment labour and company standards, and changes in pay and tax status, and other miscellaneous changes by HR and employees.
- Variance and validation reporting including balancing and controlling earnings and deduction totals; inspecting system output such as registers and standard reports, determining and correcting out-of-balance conditions.
- Creates and prepares general ledger entries for interface in collaboration with HRIS and Finance.
- Monitors and files tax reports and forms; responds to tax inquires; completes quarterly and year end balancing.
- Runs existing structured and ad hoc reports for validation purposes, for inclusion in financial statements and to fulfill requests by management, HR and Finance.
- Prepares wires and funds Payroll and Benefits; monitors for transaction completion and mitigates any stopped workflows.
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Effectively works with peers by leveraging differences in objectives and responsibilities
- Educates oneself on peers' processes and directives
- Demonstrates a shared understanding of the overarching mandate the team is collectively seeking to accomplish while aligning priorities with built-in organization dependencies requiring teamwork.
- Reinforces team objectives through independent work, collaboration and communication
- Establishes an environment of mutual trust, respect and accountability
- Generates accurate and timely work-product based on criteria of assigned responsibilities
- Skillfully and promptly exhibits flexibility by working with Payroll Manager and available resources to adapt work to changing scenarios as required
- Demonstrates productive analytical thinking when it comes to solutioning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Delivers superior customer service consistent with Brookfield's global service delivery standards
- Exhibits consistent and diligent attention to and application of detail
- Exercises sound judgment including appropriate escalation to management
- Demonstrates superior self-organization skills with reference to day-to-day operational responsibilities and assignments
- Utilizes problem-solving skills in a deliberate and well-considered manner to identify and resolve issues
- Exercises conscious and practical control over the amount of time spent on specific activities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Provides and administers processes to support a high degree of customer service and supports staff to deliver payroll and answer enquiries under that orientation
- Focuses on the client needs for desired outcomes
- Proven analysis and audit experience
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office applications, including excel (ex. functions, pivot tables, macros)
- System / database troubleshooting, utilization and detail orientation to data integrity
- Payroll and time administration/timekeeping background including troubleshooting, compliance and reporting
- Experience working with an HRIS system. Workday experience would be an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Demonstrate good presentation skills
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Processing year-end
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certification required
- University or college degree (HR, Business Administration) preferred
Brookfield welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.