Our Equities team is hiring a Managing Director in Private Capital. By joining the team, you will be working with private equity investment professionals with deep sector and regional expertise. You will play a key role in sourcing, leading and managing direct investments and talent within the Financial Services sector.
Who you'll work with
Reporting to the Senior Managing Director, Head of the Financial Services Group, you will lead deal teams comprising Analysts, Associates and Principals, and Directors supported by third party consultants, legal and accounting professionals dedicated to each particular investment.
The Financial Services team focuses on platform investments in property and casualty insurance, asset and wealth management, consumer finance, commercial finance, financial technology, and services businesses.
In certain instances, the Managing Director may also work with colleagues in the London, Singapore, or Hong Kong offices in evaluating international investment opportunities in a given sector.
What you'll do
- Take on an immediate board role on a number of our existing portfolio companies
- Play an active role in identifying target investments and creating a “right to win”, which should include unique value creation levers.
- Uncover new opportunities by leveraging relationships with consultants, operating executives, and fund partners, attending conferences and trade shows, networking with management teams and meeting with various industry participants to uncover new opportunities.
- Lead the team in the evaluation of new investments determining whether the company represents an attractive investment opportunity. This evaluation includes: conducting industry and company due diligence, creating sophisticated financial models, arranging debt financing, negotiating legal documentation and preparing written recommendations.
- Serve on the board of directors and remain actively involved with the portfolio company once a transaction has been onboarded.
- Partner with the business leaders to implement value-enhancing initiatives and collaborate with management on various initiatives including strategy, value creation projects, mergers and acquisitions, debt re-financings, and strategic projects.
What you'll need
- 15+ years meaningful work experience, with ideally the most recent experience being in leading private equity deals in financial services. Active M&A in a lead role in corporate development would also be considered if supplemented by previous experiences in management consulting, or investment banking.
- Experience in playing a leading role in the investment process, including conducting due diligence, leading multiple diligence streams such as financial, operational, legal, tax, insurance as well as arranging debt financing and negotiating documentation
- Experience serving on Boards of Directors
- Strong academic background, with a financial designation (i.e., MBA, CFA CBV or CA designation a plus)
- Very strong analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis
- A deep understanding of fundamental investment analysis
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build constructive relationships with internal and external parties (particularly management teams)
- Proven ability to develop talent and thrive in a team-based culture
- Good communications skills, both oral and written
- An ability to balance priorities, work independently, lead projects and thrive in a high-performance team environment
- Willingness and ability to travel across North America and globally, as required