Operational Risk Manager, Private Banking
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 11 Aug 17
Operational Risk Manager, Private Banking
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
Operational Risk is responsible for implementing and maintaining the operational risk, and management supervision control frameworks in Kleinwort Hambros group.
The Kleinwort Hambros group Operational Risk department has dual reporting lines:
• to the Kleinwort Hambros Group Head of SAFE ;
• within the SG Group Global Banking and Investor Services (GBIS) Global Business Services (GBS) Security and Anti-Fraud Expertise (SAFE) department to the Head of SAFE/PRI (Private Banking).
Working with other departments, the Operational Risk Team is responsible for promoting a controlled environment, offering advice to departments on practices and processes to mitigate operational risks and ensuring all management information produced is analysed and escalated where appropriate to Senior Management and Head Office in Paris.
The Operational Risk department's main responsibilities are to:
• ensure that each business line and support function within Kleinwort Hambros identifies and mitigates its operational risks;
• create, manage and maintain managerial supervision governance, policies and standards;
• coordinate key operational risk management processes such as the collection of losses, the performance of Risk Control Self Assessments (RCSA);
• Running the New Product Committee and co-ordinating the support work for this committee
• monitor key risk indicators, perform spot checks and support the follow-up of internal audit recommendations;
• provide risk reporting to management;
• provide input to economic and regulatory capital calculations;
• challenge the effectiveness of controls and frameworks;
• promote and reinforce a risk management culture across the business.
The Basel II Committee defines operational risk as: "The risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems or from external events."
Summary of the Key Purposes of the Role
The candidate will provide assistance to the Operational Risk function within the Kleinwort Hambros Group. This will be achieved primarily through
• monitoring operational losses recorded by the business (via an internally developed tool), and
• ensuring relevant controls to mitigate operational losses are implemented.
• assisting with major risk events and reporting of significant events to SG Group SAFE via the CAROLINE reporting tool.
• to assist the Operational Risk team running the New Product Committee
The Operational Risk department requires all team members to be flexible within their role and to be a true team player. Thus, secondary elements of the role will be supporting the Operational Risk team in
• monitoring and developing KRIs (covering all business areas),
• reviewing and supporting/challenging the business on completion of managerial supervision controls
• providing suitable management reporting, and
• supporting the production of RCSAs
Summary of Responsibilities
• Review and maintenance of entries in a SharePoint developed application, used by departments across the business to log operational errors.
• Logging relevant incident in CAROLINE
• Trend analysis/ root cause analysis on operational errors. Identification of points of failure, followed by pragmatic advice and rigorous follow through in strengthening controls to prevent reoccurrence.
• Assisting with major risk events – including attending major risk event meetings and producing meeting summaries
• Maintaining a register of actions arising from major risk events and following up with the business to ensure they are completed
• Supporting and challenging the business to devise and implement controls to mitigate the reoccurrence of risk events, where trends are identified.
• Analysing risk event information, and presenting the results as required
• Assisting with the running of the New Product Committee
• Promoting the Bank's Risk Management Framework and advising departments of how to improve their operational risk profiles.
• Monitoring and assessing whether departments comply with the operational risk policies.
• Contribute from an Operational Risk perspective in high risk projects being undertaken within the organisation.
• Liaise with Head Office in Paris on all Operational Risk Governance issues and relay this back to the organisation.
The successful candidate must seek advice from his/her Management and/or the rest of the Operational Risk team when in doubt
The successful candidate must also perform all duties in accordance with the principles outlined in the SGPBH Code of Conduct, as well as the policies and procedures relevant to their responsibilities, including the application of IMMUNE rules, to ensure that you adhere to a culture that treats clients fairly and focuses on the long term sustainability of client relationships
Level of Autonomy and Authority
Autonomy extends to day to day decisions within the agreed risk framework, appetites, policies and procedures.
• Individual contributor competencies as defined in the SG Leadership Model
• Previous Operational Risk experience vital, covering the majority of areas documented above (previous experience of Private Banking/Wealth Management advantageous).
• Past experience of investigating control failures is advantageous.
• Past fraud analysis experience is advantageous.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Solid analytical background and attention to detail.
• Proven experience in building strong business relationships.
• Ability to challenge departments where necessary.
• Reporting capabilities.
• Ability to understand global and local OR constraints and use tools.
• Initiative and self motivation.
• Team Player.
• Desire to further develop the control environment (bringing new ideas) and promote operational risk awareness, thus ensuring the operational risk framework continues to be firmly embedded in the business.
• Experience in Operational Risk management, preferably within a private bank.
• No specific requirements – although education to at least A-level ability would be preferable in topics that support a strong analytical ability and the ability to communication effectively
• Excellent English
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.