Head of Consumer Operations
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank plc
- 22 Aug 17
HSBC currently has a Head of Consumer Operations position available within the Retail Banking and Wealth Management division. The team are looking for someone with strong Business Management, Operational Risk, Strategic Change and Relationship Management experience.
- Consumer Operations brings together management responsibility for the Retail Banking, Wealth Management, Insurance and Asset Management businesses. The role of the Consumer Operations Control Expertise lead is to support Lines of Businesses in the delivery of their strategic vision by overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards.
- The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage risks.
- The role holder will have direct oversight of the core Consumer Operations within Payment Services, Banking Operations, KYC ; Cards, Loans & Mortgages; and Wealth and Insurance. They will be expected to provide Relationship management oversight of all Consumer Operations outsourced activity across Global Operations.
- The role holder will play a key role in supporting the Global Head of Consumer Operations in providing Risk oversight over RBWM Operations, GPB Operations and consumer elements of Banking Operations. The role is part of the Chief Control Officer (CCO) function in Global Operations. Enabling over c.20,000 colleagues within HSBC Operations, Services and Technology (HOST) to deliver safe and secure services to all our customers, colleagues and the Bank itself.
This will be achieved by:
- Implementing robust risk governance and ensuring all stakeholders have visibility of key risks and remediation
- Monitoring risk appetite in line with business requirements.
- Conducting high quality and efficient reviews of control performance.
- Facilitating controls remediation where required.
- Raising awareness and understanding of risks, controls and risk management.
- Continuously improving the control and monitoring of risk, including behaviours.
- Implement the CCO Operating Model and operations risk strategy
The primary objectives for this role are:
- Implement the CCO principles and strategy to improve risk and control management within LOB
- To support the Head of LOB Business Service in the overall management / engagement with Global LOB including prime points of contact with LOB BRCM, Risk Stewards, members of the second and three lines of defense including the external regulators and the HSBC Monitor.
- Ensuring the Business Services operate within an agreed Risk Appetite/ tolerance and that risks are managed effectively
- Facilitate the sharing of standard tools and best practices across these Business Services and that optimal solutions and approaches are being implemented
- Governance and control measures required to manage the LOB Operations effectively
- Provide guidance on the development of the Business Services Operating Manuals by ensuring adequate risk management principles are adopted
- Provide control expertise and opine on the end to end health of the control environment within LOB
- Implement improvements to the LOB Control Environment
- Manage internal and external audit requirements for LOB
- Engage and deploy resources from the global Centre of Excellence (CoEs) within the CCO Function in support of team's testing, reporting, thematic analysis and risk culture activities
- The role requires the job holder to provide guidance and advice to key senior LOB stakeholders, challenge senior leaders on the control performance and escalate risk and issues as appropriate to Global Operations Control Environment Management forums.
- Identify and proactively manage current and emerging risks related to changes to services, processes and systems delivered by or impacting LOBs.
- Influence the operations activities to the GO CCO strategy and challenge senior leaders in the LOBs on their day to day management of controls.
- Implement and oversee governance processes, intervening in LOB Operations activities where necessary and agreeing subsequent actions with key LOB senior managers.
- Oversight of robust controls testing, working with the CCO CoEs to plan, resource and execute testing within LOBs
- Ensure current and emerging entity risks are identified and proactively managed
- Enable the Bank:
- Implement enhancements, sharing with colleagues and stakeholders, across LOBs
- Review the output of the LOB risk and control management reports and subsequently articulate the findings and recommendations to relevant senior audiences.
- Increase awareness and engagement, and ensure risk is considered proactively in all LOB Operations activities.
- Educate LOB Leadership teams on the end to end health of the control environment, identify and communicate the need for intervention to ensure suitable controls are in place.
Experience and Skills required includes:
- Strong Operational Risk experience
- Business Management experience
- Experience with strategic change
- Strong stakeholder management experience
- Experience in a Business Partnering or Business Management position
- Experience monitoring risk appetite in line with business requirements
- Experience providing guidance and advice to key senior lines of business stakeholders, challenge senior leaders on control performance and escalate risk and issues